Tuesday, February 26, 2008

Empanadas

I should first explain that the reason you recently see more of my baking rather than Mark's is not because he's not baking. It's just that he's baking the same things that already got the spot light. On Friday he made a pizza that was just as great as the Christmas pizza, but without any toppings; and on Sunday, he baked a sandwich bread, which this time I ate with goat cheese, marinated artichoke, green olives, a slice of tomato and balsamic vinaigrette - it was delicious!

I've been wanting to make empanadas for quite some time now. I never ate meat empanadas until my friend's ex made them vegetarian style, and it was delicious! (Note for self: need to find synonyms for delicious). So I decided to try and make them. Of course, there's no way to ask my friend's ex for the recipe, so I used this one instead. Needless to say, I used ground meatless, and I also added olives, because I saw them in other recipes.
The dough was hard to work with, but my empanadas turned out pretty good:



Mark didn't like the cloves, so next time I'll omit it, but overall I think it was a success. I would like to try some with corn filling as well sometime.
Though I think I will have to go back to Chile if I want to eat those really good ones - steamed cheese empanadas - I got from the kids who came onto our bus as it was loaded onto a ferry, on the way to Chiloe.

1 comment:

5x5 said...

What's all in the tasty looking side dish?